Odegbami petitions NFF over conditions for nomination as FIFA presidential candidate
Former Nigerian international, Segun Odegbami, yesterday petitioned the Nigeria Football Federation (NFF) more than the demands produced of the country’s contestants before being nominated to contest for the position of President of FIFA coins.
Odegbami and former Abia State Governor, Orji Uzor Kalu, will be the two Nigerians, who have indicated interest in contesting for the FIFA coins presidency.
The former Green Eagles captain advised the NFF to withdraw these demands and that the federation need to quickly make a decision around the Nigerian to nominate to contest the FIFA Presidential elections in February 2016.
Within the petition addressed for the NFF President, Amaju Pinnick and produced accessible towards the Guardian, Odegbami said: “I refer to my letter of August 26, 2015, addressed to you, in which I humbly requested for nomination by the NFF to enable me contest for the vacant position of President of FIFA within the elections coming up on February 26, 2016.
While awaiting a formal response from you, it was with utter disbelief and shock to study from the conditions (far more of barriers) on a television programme that the NFF has set for Nigerian candidates.“I want to remind you that long prior to I publicly announced my intention to contest for the election, I met with you to intimate you of my aspiration and intent. You had proposed then that I met with Dr. Amos Adamu [former member on the Confederation of African Football [CAF] Executive Committee] and Mr. Issa Hayatou – the CAF President.
At this meeting, I reminded you that the FIFA elections became necessary because of corruption charges against members of the current FIFA Executive Committee, and that both gentlemen that you simply suggested I meet have been an integral part of the FIFA establishment, and that engaging them at the initial stages could not be a great concept, specifically as I aim to align element of my campaign strategy and important messages alongside the change mantra and anti-corruption stance in the present Nigerian Government beneath President Muhammadu Buhari. In my view, to attain this, I stand a good opportunity if I distance myself from the present FIFA members.
I also told you that my good opportunity of winning the elections could be to present my functions and records in football and football administration, as well as my great conduct and character throughout the decades of my involvement and engagement together with the sport at a variety of levels – local, national and international – and not by hobnobbing with the establishment.
As element of your response to me, you pointed out the interest of an additional Nigerian – Orji Uzor Kalu – even though you also stated, at this meeting, that he had not officially notified the NFF of his intention. You also promised to seek the opinion of a few of your friends, fellow national Federation presidents in Africa, also as your Executive Committee members, and revert back to me swiftly, noting that time is of essence within this quest.
I informed you also that I had already sent my official notification letter to the NFF and that I would be expecting a response.”Odegbami revealed that following extensive consultations with some stakeholders that could help and support his aspiration on September 2, he produced his intentions publicly identified to the planet.
He added that he anticipated that the NFF would conduct its personal integrity and eligibility tests and choose which of the two candidates to become offered the only nomination spot.